Friday, April 3, 2009

4/2/2009 Thursday Datil to Cochiti Lake,N of Albuquerque,NM $13 propane, $26 gas, $20 dennys, $9 batteries, $114 walmart

Survived the 17 degree night very well. Al knows how to make a warm bed. Blanket on bottom and 2 blankets on top, tucked around on all sides. Pillow against outside wall to keep out cold. I wore a long sleeve thermal undershirt, a sweatshirt, sweatpants and tube construction socks over anklets.

Woke up to a light covering of snow. We wish we had taken a picture of the many pinion trees with snow just on the tips of each branch.

I have decided that I need to take up trying to draw scenery. I have been inspired by the all the scenery that I have seen. These mountains are usually dark with a haze over them which I guess is where the state gets its name "Land of Enchantment".

We drove 60 miles to Socorro. Al bought diesel for $2.17, previously we had paid $2.11 but are not back in territory where the diesel is $1.99. He fills up the tank when it gets down to 3/4 full because he is afraid we will get out in the "toolies" so much that we can't find diesel. There was a Smith grocery store next to gas station and I had heard that they had good, reasonable produce. I find Walmarts to be high. Well this store was high also. Then we went to Denny's and had breakfast (at noon). Then we went to Dollar General and bought batteries for my radio and his metal detector.

We drove another 50 miles to Albuquerque, NM. Our intentions was to have a certified Suburban furnace center to check out our furnace because it is less than 2 years old and still under warranty. Well, this was Camping World, and after much ado of finding the place even with the GPS, we found they wanted $80.00 to do "diagnostics" and then if they had to pull the furnace to get to the circuit board, it was another $100.00. Warranty, if the problem was covered by warranty, would only pay a part of all this labor and Al said, "No, thank you".

We then went to Walmart to get supplies. Seems like we do that allot but we don't have allot of storage and like fresh produce so we do go often. By the way, our refrigerator is wonderful, much better than the one we had in our Fleetwood. The 2 drawbacks to our motorhome for me is that I don't have a table and I love to sit at a table. Gave up my table so Al could have his recliner for his comfort with his arthritis. I would rather sit at a table than in a living room. Then our bed only has a small space to enter and leave but it has to be that way to have a small motorhome. We are getting a method to deal with this and do pretty good.

We also bought our fishing license. Out of state license was $34.00 for 5 days for each of us. While buying a license, I noticed that one could also buy a license for bear or cougar hunting.

Then we drove another 40 miles to Cochiti Lake north of Albuquerque. It is a Corp of Engineers campground because the Rio Grande goes into this lake and it is dammed up. Fees for here was $12.00 per night but with our wonderful Golden Age Passport it is only $6.00. I think I have this card figured out. Since it is a federal thing, any Bureau of Land Management area or Corp of Engineers or National forest, we get 1/2 price. Without elec, it is usually free. However, the places are usually called National Recreation Areas, sometimes with a description in the name also such Valley of the Fires, Datil Wells and our next place will be Olle Verda near Taos.

We went through allot of Indian Reservations in this drive and each reservation has a casino. I guess they have free parking also but I am not particularly interested in them.

When entering this area, there is a sign about rattlesnakes in the area. It tells us that this is their land also and we need to just ignore them and they will leave us alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment