Tuesday, March 31, 2009

3/31/2009 Tuesday Silver City,NM to Datil,NM $12.00 groceries. $5.00 campground

We left parking lot of Walmart in Silver City today without eating breakfast because we wanted driving time before the winds came up.

Ended up driving 160 miles to Datil, NM with no wind and stopped once for lunch. It was a very scenic drive on a good highway through canyons and the Sacramento Mountains.

I thought Datil was a town but it appears that it is just 1 store with gas station and cafe and not much else. We have 1/2 tank of propane and wanted to buy some but even that is not available.

We then drive a very short distance to a BLM land that is the Datil Well Campground. I understand Datil Wells were a series of wells used to water cattle on cattle drives many years ago. We will search them out tomorrow. I hope I find them. I never found the springs in Aguirre Springs Recreations Center. The cost is $5.00 per night but with Golden age passport, it is 1/2 price so we paid $5.00 for 2 nights. No hookups. The elevation is about 7500 ft and there is sign in Datil that. Wolves-Keep your children and pets close.

There MANY pinion trees and Al got excited because he wanted to pick pinion nuts and it is legal to pick up to 25 pounds of them but he got discouraged very early because it is tedious to stand and pick these small nuts off the trees. Then they have to be soaked and washed. I didn't know it but they are the same as pine nuts that are available in stores as health food.

Maybe cold tonite because of elevation and our furnace still doesn't work but we have managed to keep warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment