Sunday, March 22, 2009
3/22/2009 Sunday Alamogordo,NM to Aguirre Springs,NM
We left Alamogordo Walmart about 9:30 AM. Took hwy 70 towards Las Cruces,NM heading for Aguirre Springs National Recreation Area which is 13 miles east of Las Cruces. Going south on hwy 70 there is no turn off to left to get into this area so we went to Organ,NM. The town has this name because of a mountain near it called Organ which resembles the pipes to a pipe organ. Using the GPS, I found that it lists parks and it gave us direction to turn around in Organ and head north for 4 miles and then exit into this area. It was quite a trip from the highway to this recreation area. Books say that no rig longer than 22' should attempt to get here. It was thankfully a paved road no more than 10 feet wide and had 90 degree corners, speed limit was 15mph. On these corners, there is a rock wall on one side and a drop off on the other so I can see why only small rigs should come here. We ran over a snake on the road. Signs here state that rattlesnakes are a common hazzard while hiking. The signs advise no one should hike alone. There are no hook-ups and most sites are short in length with trees overhanging on some of them. It is usually $3.00 a night to camp with a 14 day limit but of course, with Golden Age Passport, it is free for us. It is quite a site for hiking because we have found a 4 hour hiking trail and a 6 hour hiking trail. We got here about noon. I fixed lunch and became very tired for some reason so I took a nap most of the afternoon. We have Verizon service but it cuts in and out. Internet service is very slow. Tomorrow I will get out and scout around. I want to find the springs. We also have TV here but some of it is snowy. It is about 6500 feet and sets at base of mountain range but high enough so that we can look over valley and White Sands Missle Range. The scenery coming in was tremendous. Al said, "It wakes everything up in you that you thought was dead". I guess that means excitement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment